Tuesday 23 September 2008

Good singer vs Crap singer

This post is my personal opinion and doesn't necessarily reflect the opinion of all the writers on this blog.
An article about Keri Hilson on Clutch Magazine (online) had me thinking about musical taste and how the industry works. The article was very funny, blunt but I found it a little bit harsh. Basically it was saying that Keri Hilson doesn't have what it takes to succeed and has no stage presence, an average voice etc as you know already Neverxmind.blogspot are big supporters of Miss Hilson.

I'm not going to focus on her in this post, but the article had me looking at the bigger picture. In the past I use to cuss the state of the music industry and what it has to offer, as in reality it does seem as though anyone can get a record deal these days aslong as they look cute. It's undeniable that appearance does count for something in the industry whether you can sing or not, I think we have all become accustomed to this though, not saying it's right or wrong, but seriously how many ugly singers can you count? Not many, and you know I didn't even bother to mention the rappers because there are a few "not so cute ones".. mentioning no names. (cough Rick Ross cough)

So realistically speaking if we got rid of the "inadequate" singers then they'd play nothing at the club, it's not like u can go crazy and shake your ass to "Ex-Factor" by Lauryn Hill, eventhough it's an amazing song. So basically we need the "crappy" singers as much as they need us lol. Aslong as the beat is banging you don't need to pay much attention to Cassie's screeching or T-Pain's computerized voice.

sidenote: I actually do like the artists mentioned above.

I've come to realise and appreciate the balance of artists in the industry, because certain songs are more suitable for certain occasions. So I guess what I'm trying to say is that there's no more complaining coming from me because the situation for music isn't all so bad, although it could be better..

Feel free to share your thoughts on this.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

well said apart from the sidonote, lol, like i sed u need to use the average normal language used in everyday talkin, and that bein not one of em,lol but ova wise from that i like the post

Bang Bang said...

True True. But the balance is off I'm hearing too much coverage from these crap singers...than the good ones. Well maybe cause all the good ones are writing their own songs and making their albums. Instead of Cassie who can go to every party and go to the studio and everything is done. All she has to do is screech on the tracks.

LovexHate said...

^
Lol, I like how you put your point across. It is true though, I guess Cassie don't have to do much. I recon the good singers are just busy right now, perfecting their skills so that when they release their next album it will be fire!